A research network on the functional importance of tree biodiversity
The FORBIO experiment in Hechtel-Eksel; one of the three FORBIO sites
The treediv|Belgium website provides an overview of the functional tree diversity research platforms in Belgium. The consortium of treediv|Belgium consists of researchers of different Belgian universities that investigate complementary ecological questions on similar research sites. They use experimentally or observationally designed tree diversity gradients to study a multitude of ecological processes. By grouping into treediv|Belgium, a unique opportunity is created for collaboration, multidisciplinary research and synthesis.
Two types of research platforms are studied: true experiments and exploratories, i.e., observational platforms designed to focus on tree diversity gradients.
- FORBIO: 3 experimental plantations, plots planted with 1-4 tree species from a site-specific pool of 5 broadleaved and coniferous tree species
- SRC: a short-rotation coppice plantation, plots planted with 1-3 willow clones or 1-3 native broadleaved species
- TWIG: an experimental plantation, Nelder Wheel plots planted with 1-3 native broadleaved species
- TREEWEB: 50 plots in small and larger mature forests on loamy soils, 1-3 broadleaved species per plot - beech, an invasive oak species and a native species)
- Observatory Flanders: 160 plots in two forests centred around an oak or beech tree and along a richness gradient of 1-3 tree species
- Observatory Wallonia: 4 clusters of broadleaved mixed forest plots with oak (48 plots) or beech (44 plots) as the target species with a neighbourhood of 0-3 other tree species
- triplets: monocultures and 2-species mixtures of oak and beech
links to other networks
The consortium of treediv|Belgium is also involved in several related international networks and projects.
EuMIXFOR: a European research network on mixed forests
FunDivEUROPE: a European project on the functional significance of forest biodiversity in six European forest types
TreeDivNet: a unique platform for ecosystem research in tree diversity experiments worldwide
CAMBIO: Climate Adaptation and Mitigation with BIOdiverse forest plantations
MixForChange: Mixed Forest plantations for climate change mitigation and adaptation
Planting FORBIO Zedelgem plantation